The James Baldwin School Hiring Transformative Practices Coordinator for 2019-20
The James Baldwin School seeks a Transformative Practices Coordinator for School Year 19-20. We are a public high school, located in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. We are entering our 14th year, and we serve approximately 250 transfer high school students.
Our major institutional partners are:
● NYC Outward Bound Schools and EL Education
● The New York Performance Standards Consortium
It is our mission to provide a philosophical and practical education to the young people of New York City; to offer a personalized and college preparatory program of study; and to serve transfer students who come to us when they are struggling to find success in other high school settings. We value character development and academics both, and we have an extensive Advisory Crew system. We have been recognized as a Respect for All School and embed restorative/transformative practices into our classrooms and community. Our curriculum is also informed by a NY State waiver from the Regents Exams in Math, Science, and Social Studies. Instead of passing those exams, students must write and defend a Performance-Based Assessment Task (PBAT) in each area. As a school founded by teachers, we believe strongly in democratic governance and expect full participation in decision-making.
If you're interested in more information about us, please have a look at our website and the websites of our partners:
And here are other texts and resources on-line that connect to our school and our work:
▪ A review of our school on Insideschools.org: http://insideschools.org/high/browse/school/80
▪ A NY Times article on our school that appeared on March 20th of 2006: "A New York School That Teaches Teamwork by Camping": http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/20/nyregion/20expedition.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
▪ A “Rethinking Schools’” article about James Baldwin’s work and the name of our school: http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/21_02/name212.shtml
If you are interested in being considered for the Transformative Practices Coordinator, please review the above materials and the attached job description send a current resume along with a letter of interest expressing your philosophy especially in regards to working with over-age, under-credited students; your interest in participating in democratic school governance; your stance regarding performance assessment and high stakes testing; and your experience supporting restorative/transformative practices to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Principal Co-Director Brady Smith.