Lyons Community School Hiring for 2019-20
Lyons Community School is looking for staff for the coming school year. We are looking for a bilingual (Spanish/English) guidance counselor and a special education teacher. In addition, we are possibly hiring in the following subject areas, ELA, Mathematics, Science (any certification), ENL, a Restorative Justice coordinator and Assistant Principal.
Located in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Lyons is a small, progressive, unscreened New York City public secondary school with a liberal arts focus, and are members of the NYS Performance Standards Consortium. All students do Roundtable presentations in all their core subjects twice a year, and high school students complete graduation level Performance Based Assessment Task (PBAT) requirements rather than most Regents. Our academic program includes inquiry-based projects, field studies classes where students travel to different sites across the city, and skills instruction to meet the needs of students.
We are a Restorative Justice school, focusing on repairing harm, rather than punishing offenders. We know that the majority of our work to diminish harm involves daily community and relationship building and clear, supportive systems and expectations. Teachers are advisors, supporting students’ social-emotional and academic journeys. The vast majority of our students enter Lyons below their grade level in reading and/or mathematics. We seek staff members who are specifically interested in working with our young people and who are committed to always looking for ways to support our students to learn, grow and become their best selves.
Applicants must be NYS certified with the possible exception of the Restorative Justice coordinator.
If you are interested in being part of a community where:
· we strive to teach in an inquiry based manner, while giving our students support and structures for this journey,
· staff is reflective, internally motivated, working to continually improve their practice, with a particular focus on our own implicit biases,
· everyone is known, has a voice, is seen first for their strengths, but loved for their vulnerabilities
· we work to be anti-racist, pro-humanity and humanness, individuals working as a community through collaboration, mutual support and commitment to a vision,
· you will be part of a remarkably vibrant community that strives for a world as we want it to be, while being grounded in the world we live in,
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you have a statement of purpose, send it along as well.