Science Position at Satellite Academy High School
SATELLITE ACADEMY HIGH SCHOOL 120 West 30th Street New York, NY
High School Teacher Positions Available: Satellite Academy High School is seeking a science teacher who wants to join a committed group of educators that have created an environment for our students that values compassion, learning, and high expectations. Satellite Academy is a transfer high school which serves a diverse population of young adults between the ages of 16 and 20 years old. As a member of the New York Performance Standards Consortium of schools, SAHS has a waiver from NYSED to offer alternatives to the NYS Regents Exams in all subject areas except English. (We still use an English PBAT, our alternative to the Regents exam, in addition to the ELA Regents exam.) Students come to us to get a second chance at their high school diploma, but along the way they find that our school is really about helping young people see possibilities in their lives...like going to college and becoming leaders in their communities. We develop a strong sense of belonging through our advisory classes that focus on relationship building. Our goal at Satellite Academy is to be a transformative experience in students' lives.
Key Design Elements:
● Emphasis on Performance Assessment
● Block scheduling (60 minute periods)
● Collaborative decision making model
● Advisory system that connects students to one teacher from admission through graduation and beyond
Teacher Candidates should have experience and interest in:
● Developing student-centered and engaging classroom experiences
● Designing coherent curricula based on school/departmental frameworks
● Collaborating with colleagues to ensure strategic alignment of instructional strategies to maximize the impact on student outcomes
● Using innovative and relevant data to support student learning
● Building positive relationships with students with an emphasis on character building
All applicants must have certification from the State of New York in order to apply. Email your resume and cover letter to Business Manager Kevin Ervin (Kevin@satelliteacademy.org) in order to apply for a position. Be sure to write the subject area in the subject of the email.